Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Month After Retiring

Nobody tells you that being retired is weird.  I was so happy to leave my job, but everyone else is still working.  It's a whole other world out there during the day.  I went to the K-Mart at 10 a.m., and it was quiet.  People were walking around the store very quietly and politely.  It's totally different when you go to the store after work or on the weekend. Even traffic was different.  People drive without rushing and aren't as rude, trying to cut in front of you without using a blinker.

The other thing that's weird is that everyone wants to know what you're doing now that you've retired.  I tell them, "Nothing!"  I'm so happy about that, too.  Or I say, "I'm going to be a housewife for the first time ever."  Really, it's wonderful.  I sleep when I feel like it.  I stay up till all hours of the night.  I have become addicted to playing Freecell.  I am cooking.  I am going through my house room by closet by drawer, straightening things out, throwing things away, and giving things to others.  My motto is:  "If I am not using it, I am giving it away to someone who can use it or needs it."  I'm not in any rush to do this.  It's happening without any drive to get things done.  That's what's so nice about retirement.  I'm just not as rushed as I was when I was working.

Another thing that's weird is that once you say that you're retired, lots of people will tell you, "Oh, now you can do this or that."  I am saying that I'm not doing anything for a year. After someone dies, you're not supposed to make any major decisions for a year.  I am not mourning the job I no longer have, but it is quite a change.  I want to do lots of things, but I decided to give myself time until I have recuperated from the work world of the past 35 years.  I worked longer than that, but that's post graduate school work years.

I want to learn to play the piano and guitar again.  I want to learn how to draw, paint, sculpt, do pottery and glass blowing.  I want to get a puppy or a dog, not sure what kind, but I want to be able to do pet therapy with the dog.

I did start going to Yoga classes.  It wasn't ever something that I thought I could do.  I tried two different classes.  I can do the easy class, so I'll stick with that one.

Health is always an issue.  Didn't want to start my retirement being blind or crippled, but I have been dealing with both of those.  Had laser eye surgery on my left retina because it was detaching.  So far, so good.  Have had three steroid epidurals in the past three months to deal with low back and hip pain.  Hoping for relief...

Have been watching lots or movies and reading lost of books.  Love books on tape because you can do housework and listen to books at the same time.  Still Type A even in retirement.

Will eventually learn how to do more things on the computer.  Not sure about Facebook though.  It's bad enough I play Freecell every day!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm retired from teaching art and being a missionary. Tonight I'm going to my Catholic High School Cardinal Newman's 50th anniversary party at the Kravis Center. I was a freshnan in 1961 and I'm sure the sisters and teachers would say I was fresh. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ain Hillman! Hope you have fun at your 50th high school reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure had a good time - it was the 50th Anniversary of the opening of the school. In 1961 I was a Freshman, and we had to wear dinky uniforms & shoes. The party was great, a lot of Catholics, priests, the Bishop and supporters of the school. I danced the night away. Near the end, I even got to tell a few jokes to the party animals who stayed till the last song

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that your reunion was a blast!

    ReplyDelete