Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Techno Dinosaur

I just got my own computer this year, and now I finally have internet at home.  Whenever salespeople would ask for my e-mail, I'd say that I'm a dinosaur - one of the few who still doesn't have internet.  Now when I tell people I started a blog, they say, "Yeah, but you're not a computer person!"

Actually, my work for the last 10 years involved writing reports on the computer all day long, so the last thing I wanted to do when I came home was get on the computer again.  I have come a long way in learning technology.  I remember when I took a statistics course in graduate school, I had to get one of my professors to show me how to turn on the computer!  I started statistics back in the old days when you had to use punch cards, and you had to have a card for each piece of data.  I still have those punch cards up in the attic.  (My pack rat genes - my brother will catch that reference.)

Now I am so proud of myself when I learn something new on the computer.  Of course, the opposite is true:  I get completely frustrated when I can't figure out something on the computer.

One of my friends told me that there's a Zumba class on YouTube, and I found it.  I was doing Zumba in front of my computer and trying not to step on the cats.  Once you find the Zumba demonstration, then you can find hundreds of other Zumba videos.  I wore myself out doing Zumba, but it was fun.

Having internet is so convenient.  I look up everything.  Whenever I have a question about something, I google it.  Lately, I've been googling Irish Wolfhounds and rescue dogs.  Don't know if and when I'll get a dog, but I want to be prepared.  The cats are going to be shocked.  Not sure about how to break the news to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment