Sunday, November 6, 2011

Gumbo Lessons

Since I've been retired, I have been cooking.  My husband has cooked for most of our married life, and now that I'm home, I have been getting creative in the kitchen.  It's not a good time for me to try to lose weight.

I have never cooked gumbo in my entire life.  Wayne cooks it frequently, especially when the weather starts turning cooler.  I told him that I wanted him to teach me to cook gumbo, and today was the day.  Well, he started to cook, and I told him I was going to go shopping.  I kissed him goodbye, and he said, "You little punking-out-on-gumbo-cooking-lessons thing."  I said, "I know, but I want to go shopping while the football game is on, and it's not too crowded."  I told him I would learn to cook gumbo the next time.

When I came back from shopping, he had just finished cooking.  Perfect timing!  The gumbo was good.  My husband is a great cook.

I really do plan on learning how to cook gumbo.  But tomorrow, I am going to cook chia muffins and granola - I downloaded those recipes from Dr. Oz and The Chew.  And one of these days, I want to cook Boeuf Bourguignon.  (I had to get Julia Child's Mastering The Art Of French Cooking out of my library just to be able to spell that.)  Ever since I saw that movie with Meryl Streep playing the part of Julia Child, and Amy Adams blogging about cooking all of Julia Child's recipes in one year, I have wanted to make Boeuf Bourguignon.

Sometimes when I read recipes, if they are too complicated, I don't even attempt them.  Other times, I follow all the instructions, and even if the food tastes fabulous, I think to myself, "Well, it was good, but it was way too much work."

I imagine that when I finally make Boeuf Bourguignon, it will only be once.  If I really like it, I'll order it in a restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment