Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Disco-Thanksgiving!

My husband loves disco music.  When he cleans fish in the driveway, he cranks up his boombox, and the whole neighborhood hears the disco music (I might be exaggerating).  I usually tell him to turn it down so that the neighbors won't complain (they haven't yet).

This is how my Thanksgiving started this morning.  I wake to the disco beat: boom, boom, boom, boom!  Repeat, ad infinitum...   I think to myself, "He's cleaning fish.  He loves disco music.  The whole neighborhood can hear it."

A few moments later, he walks into the bedroom, and the first thing I say to him is,
"Disco music is an awful way to wake up."  I don't remember what he said, but I think he says, "Sorry."  The music volume decreases.  Oh, thank you!

This music is partly my fault.  Many years ago, I bought him cassettes of disco music since he likes it so much.  I forgot to take into consideration that I would also be hearing this same music every time he cleaned fish.  No, I didn't even think about that.  I do like some of the songs, but others just make me crazy.  I cannot listen to "You Can Ring My Bell-l-l-l-l," without reaching for the "stop" button.  Oh no - now I have that song running through my head.  Quick, what's another disco song?  Oh, much better, the BeeGees singing the sound track from Saturday Night Fever.  

One Christmas, I bought him a Benny Grunch and the Bunch CD - The 12 Yats of Christmas.  The first time listening to it is a novelty, and it's funny.  The second time, it's still funny.  The third time, it's not as funny as the first two times.  The fourth time, I'm starting to get a little tired of it.  The fifth time,  yep, that's me reaching for the "stop" button again.  The disco music is starting to be preferable, but never that "ring my bell" song.

I'm the same way when it comes to listening to music that I really like.  I listen to it over and over and over.  I especially like Dionne Warwick's "I Say a Little Prayer," and I played it so much, that my neighbors later told me that they now hated the song.  I am so sorry.  I still like that song today, but I don't know where it crosses the line from loving it to hating it if I hear it just once more.

All this to say, "Happy Thanksgiving!"  Hope you wake up to the sounds you like.



No comments:

Post a Comment