Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Gulliver in the Land of the Furry Lilliputians With Tiny, Sharp Claws

Yesterday, I reported to the animal shelter to do whatever they needed me to do.  They told me they'd already done all the litter box changing, so I could help socialize the cats by playing with them.  Is there a more perfect job description?  There must have been at least 60 cats and kittens.  I tried counting but then gave up.  I took two furry tabby kittens to the play room, but after entertaining them for about ten minutes, I ended up just taking the cats out of their cages and playing with them in the same room.  After I had opened every cage and petted them while singing to them (I'm not sure if they really enjoyed that or were just trying to be polite - you just can't tell with cats), I ventured into the kitten room.  There were ten kittens: four yellow tigers, three black ones, two Siamese, and one gray kitty.  When I went into the room, all the kitties started climbing my legs, swarming my tennis shoes, and chewing on my shoelaces.  Then I sat down....I felt like Gulliver in the land of the Lilliputians.  The kitties jumped on my lap, my back, my arms, and my head, AND they started biting!  Their tiny, sharp claws were making me wish that my jeans were not mere denim, but something much stronger.  I felt teeth through my blue jeans and knew I would have all kinds of bite marks and scratches.  I exited the room and found one of the workers.  I told her, "If you have some nail clippers, I will cut all the kittens' claws."  Soon, I had to ask for a towel so I could wrap the kittens up burrito-style to keep them from biting me and squirming around while I was attempting to cut their little claws.  Believe it or not, I managed to cut all ten of the kittens' claws.

Maybe next week, I'll do something easy like taking one dog for a walk...

No comments:

Post a Comment