Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Best Part of My Life

This morning, I slept until I woke up - no alarm clock woke me.  This is one of the best parts of being retired.  For more than 35 years, I woke up at 5:45 every morning, and probably hit the snooze button on my alarm clock every single day, and more than likely, hit it not just once, but several times.

There is such a pleasure in being relaxed in the morning and not having to rush around getting ready for work.  I padded in my fuzzy-socked feet to the kitchen to get my first cup of coffee.  Wayne left the creamer out for me so it's not cold when I pour it into my coffee, and the temperature is just right.  That pleases me, too.  I bring my coffee back to the bedroom and set it on the shelf of my headboard.  All four cats are either on the bed or the floor or the dresser, enjoying a lazy morning with me.  Then I get out my current book and read until I please.  

What could be better?

Right now, I'm reading Furiously Happy, by Jenny Lawson.  When the librarian called to tell me that the book I had requested had come in, I asked which one, and when he told me the title, I reacted with such delight, that he probably thought I was inordinately happy, or maybe he thought he'd better get on the waiting list to read this book, too.

I love this author.  Her first book, Let's Pretend This Never Happened, made me laugh so hard and so often, that my husband kept coming into the room where I was reading and asking, "What are you laughing about?"  I told him, "You just have to read this book."  The only other book I ever read that made me laugh this much is Dav Pilkey's The Adventures of Captain Underpants; actually the whole series is hysterical in a way that probably only third-grade boys would find funny, but that's my sense of humor sometimes.  I laughed so hard at those books, that the cats kept coming into the room to see what was going on.  

I don't remember how I found Lawson's book, but I loved it so much, I bought it to give to other people and insisted that they read it, too.  The cover has a picture of a little mouse in a cape, and if that's not intriguing enough, you're just not curious.  

Lawson's second book cover has a picture of a raccoon standing up with his arms held high, and the best smile you've ever seen.  Racoons are some of my favorite animals, so I knew I would love this book, and how could you not love the title, Furiously Happy?

(I love lots of other authors:  Pat Conroy, Anne Rivers Siddons, Cassandra King, Anne Lamott, David Sosnowski, Patrick Rothfuss, George R.R. Martin, just to name a very few.  I love to read and to listen to audiobooks.  I'm always amazed when people tell me they haven't read any books since high school.)

So, if you haven't made Jenny Lawson's acquaintance, I highly recommend reading her books.  They're funny, and they're serious, too.  Let me know what you think after you read them.... 




3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I am really happy for you! I feel a little bit tiered of my work and looking forward to Christmas holidays. Maybe, I should read Furiously Happy, by Jenny Lawson, and also feel like retired) Anyway, I will suggest the book to my writer at pinkelstar.com.

    ReplyDelete