Saturday, November 2, 2013

Birthday Goat


Not everyone would get excited about those two words.  I do though.  Again, anyone who knows me is not surprised.

I have been looking at these metal sculptures in the yard of a flea market for years now.  Every time I drive by the flea market, I look longingly at all the different critters.

I went out to eat lunch with a friend, and on the way home, we stopped at the flea market.  It was closed, so we couldn't go in.  It didn't even occur to me that I was hinting about what I'd like for my upcoming birthday gift.  I pointed out the different goats, roosters, zebras, pigs, flamingoes, and giraffes.  Then we got back into the car and drove home.

Well, my friend told me that I needed to come visit her so I could get my birthday present.  She and her husband were going on vacation and wouldn't be in town for my birthday.  I told her, "We can wait until y'all return from your vacation."  She said, "Oh, you really need to get your birthday present before we leave."

So yesterday, I stopped by her house on the way home from picking up Harry's medicine at the vet.  She and I sat down and talked, and I must have really needed to talk because normally, when I see a present that I know is for me, the first thing I want to do is tear open the gift wrapping.  And this was a huge gift bag.  We talked until I'd gotten things off my chest, and she said, "OK, open your present."

I unwrapped the green tissue paper, and lo and behold, it was a metal goat!!!!  I told her that I didn't see how she could outdo what she'd given me last year, but this was exactly what I needed.
Look, he's even smiling!  Adorable, right?

She asked me what I was going to name him.  I said I didn't usually name inanimate pets.  But then immediately, I thought of a name:  Theophilus.  When I told my husband the goat's name, he said, "William Theophilus."  I asked, "Why William?"  He said, "It's long for Billy."  Ha!  He is so clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment