Saturday, February 2, 2013

Funny Candy

Do you remember these?

When I was at Physical Therapy, I don't know how we got on the subject of candy, but I said I loved Violets.  No one else at P.T. said they liked them.

I didn't think any more about it.

When I went to P.T. last week, my physical therapist, Jeanie, gave me two packs of Violets!  I said, "Violets!  I love these!  Where did you get them?"  She said she saw them at the grocery store by her house, and she thought of me, so she bought them for me.  How cool is that!

If you've ever tried Violets, you either love them or hate them.  Some people say they taste like soap.  I think they're wonderful.  Thanks, Jeanie.

Of course, this led to more talk of the candies of our youth.  Do you remember Chick-o-stick?  That's one of my favorites.  Every time my brother, George, sees them, he buys some for me.  You used to be able to get a Chick-o-stick for a nickel, but now it's a quarter for a very small version of the original Chick-o-stick.  It still tastes like I remember it though.

What about those candy necklaces?  They didn't taste all that great, but it was cool to be  able to eat them while you wore them.

Zero bar was another great candy bar that I don't see that often.  Oh, and those little wax soda bottles filled with syrupy liquid - you'd bite off the top of the little soda bottle, and then drink the liquid.  Again, it didn't taste all that great, but it was just the way you could bite the wax and get the sweet liquid.  Sounds gross now....

And who could forget those wax lips?  They didn't taste so great either, but maybe it was just the texture of chewing the wax.  I don't know.  When I retired, my co-workers gave me two packages of wax vampire teeth with lips, among the 30 other gifts they surprised me with.  Chewing those brought back those sensations of being a kid again.


No comments:

Post a Comment