Monday, July 22, 2013

Synvisc One

I didn't cry.  I didn't scream.  But I did yell - I couldn't help it.  At least, I didn't curse...

Today, I had both knees injected with Synvisc One.  It's a gel made of hyaluronic acid, which is the substance that lubricates your joints and is especially helpful when your cartilage is deteriorating.  The gel is made from rooster combs.  (Cue the jokes about getting up early and crowing...)

I joked with the doctor that I would try not to scream.  I didn't think I would actually be loud when he injected my knees.  First he did the right knee, and a loud, "Ouch!" escaped from my lips.  Then he did the left side, and wow, did that hurt!  He removed about one cc of fluid, and then he injected 6 cc's of the gel.  The removal of fluid hurt more than the injection itself.

The doctor said, "Relax your leg," like that's something I could really do when he's sticking a needle between the kneecap and the bones!  "Don't bend your leg!" Oy vey!  His assistant pressed down on my leg to keep me from bending it, which was a good thing, because I could not keep it straight by myself.

I was so relieved to have that procedure finished.  I'd heard they were painful.  I'm here to tell you, "Yes, absolutely!"

I'd also heard that people get a series of three shots for each knee.  Fortunately for me, my doctor used Synvisc One, and I won't need three injections.  I can't get another Synvisc injection for 6 months.  I can't imagine going back next week and the week after that for two more injections, especially with the pain so fresh in my memory.

I'm not supposed to do any exercise for about two days, so I will listen to him and sit with my legs propped up, ice pack on each knee.

This was not on my list of things I wanted to do before I died, but now I know one more thing that I didn't want to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment