Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Time

Once you retire, people think that you have all the time in the world, and now you are available to give your time to them.

I beg to differ.

When I was working, I was always rushing to make deadlines, to see as many students as possible, to get from one school to another, to prepare lectures, to do research, to write papers, etc.  What time was left was used to run errands and do chores.  I tried to do something fun at least once a week.  Life was not leisurely.

Now that I'm free of those demands, I like to go at a much slower pace.  My schedule is full, but it's filled with what I want to do instead of what I have to do.  Big difference.

For instance, I used to have to wake up early and rush around in the morning to get to work on time.  Now, I wake up whenever I wake up - no more alarm clocks.  I sleep late because I can stay up late.  I lie in bed thinking, and gradually, I stretch and get up to start the day.  I greet all the animals, bless Wayne for having the coffeemaker ready so all I have to do is push the "start" button, and I sit at the kitchen table eating my breakfast, pushing the cats off the newspaper, and watching the birds that eat at the birdfeeder right by the hummingbird bush.  It's a lovely way to start the morning, in stark contrast to the way my mornings used to be.

I take an unhurried walk with the dog, work out at physical therapy, meet friends for lunch, go to art or music lessons, go grocery shopping, cook dinner, practice piano, finish exercising while watching TV, whatever I want.  This is what I worked for 35 years to be able to enjoy.

I am not bored....ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment