Sunday, July 8, 2012

I'm a Woman!

I had knee surgery last Thursday.  My husband came down with a urinary tract infection, and even after four days on antibiotics, he had a raging fever.  So what this meant is that even though I had knee surgery, I've been taking care of him.

One of my friends asked me how I was doing all that.  My answer: "I'm a woman!"
Isn't that what we do?  We take care of everyone even when we're injured.

On top of my knee injury, I cut my finger and was bleeding all over the place.  I was cleaning up the blood, but my finger kept bleeding.  I would have laughed if I'd seen this objectively.

Another factor in being able to cope with things is that I have really good friends.  One friend brought me to physical therapy, which unbelievably, started the day after surgery.  Another friend has been walking my dog.  Two friends sent me care packages.  Other friends have been calling to check on me.  That makes a huge difference.

I didn't take a pain pill last night, so I should be able to drive to physical therapy now.  It's three times a week for four weeks.  When this knee heals, after about three months, I need to have the other knee operated on - again!  I will have had three knee operations in one year, and I only have two knees.  Oy vey!  But the payoff is that I will be able to walk again.  I'm looking forward to walking the dog, going to a grocery store, walking on the beach, and eventually hiking....

No comments:

Post a Comment