Thursday, May 3, 2012

Next

Yesterday, I went to the vet because Zoe had tapeworms! If one animal has it, you have to treat all the animals, so I had to give Walter 4 pills (it's based on their weight) and each of the cats one pill a piece. Walter took his pills in "pill pockets," an ingenious invention - they're little malleable treats with a hole where you insert the pill to enclose it. He thought he was getting treats.
They have feline pill pockets - they're smaller versions of the canine pill pockets - but I had to break up the pills into quarters because the tapeworm pill was too large to give all at once.  I tried giving one pill pocket per quarter to Harry.  He took them by the hardest.  Good thing I clipped all the cats' claws last week...

Next was Zoe.  Did you ever try to give a cat a pill?  You haven't attempted one of the most difficult tasks on earth until to do this.  So I had four cats with four quarters each - that's sixteen pills basically, that I had to quickly shove down their throats while avoiding getting bitten or scratched.  Not easy...

Zoe spit each quarter out at least three times before I got her to swallow them.  Violet was easier than I thought, but she still wasn't happy about it.  Henry screamed like I was killing him.  It was a harrowing experience for everyone but Walter.

Anyway, I had gone to the vet to get the tapeworm medicine, and the women behind the counter at the vet had brought their dogs to work.  One was a Shih-tzu puppy, and the other was a three-year-old Yorkie.  Precious and irresistible.  I played with each of them.

So that got me thinking.  I want a kitten and a Yorkie puppy and a baby rabbit all at the same time so they can all be friends.  I told my husband, and he said, "Not until all of the pets we have now are gone."  I don't know if I'll be alive long enough to outlive the animals I have right now, but I still would love to have a puppy and kitten and bunny raised together.  Something to think about...

Of course, as I'm writing this, Walter and Henry are playing/fighting all over the house.  Walter is a puppy, so he really wants to play with everyone.  Henry is curious and interested, but a little overwhelmed by Walter's size and canine-ness.  Walter chases Henry around the house, and then Henry hisses, growls, and meows loudly when Walter corners him.  When Walter trots off to another room, Henry starts crying for attention.  Then it starts over and over and over.....

No comments:

Post a Comment