Wednesday, November 28, 2012

So Many Things To Do

When you retire, people ask you, "Are you bored?  What do you do all day?"

I do so much, but some days, I do nothing.  That's the beauty of retirement.

When I tell people I've had two knee surgeries, they say things like, "Oh, it's too bad you had to have surgery while you're retired."  I tell them, "It's still a good life."

I go to bed whenever I want, and I wake up when I want.  I leisurely read the paper, drink my coffee, and eat breakfast.  I don't have to rush.  I may have things that I want to do for the day, but I've gotten really good at being flexible.

For instance, today I was going to get my allergy shot.  I'm supposed to go every two weeks.  I was going every four weeks until I got a dog.  Now I have to get "dog allergy shots" every two week.  Oh, well...

But I decided to walk Walter.  Then the phone rang, and it was my cousin.  I sat down in my glider rocker, put my feet up on the glider ottoman, and relaxed while Nita and I caught up with each other.  It's my favorite place to sit while I'm talking on the phone.  I can look out through the picture window and see what's going on in the backyard.   Sometimes a cat will jump on my lap while I'm sitting there.

So after Nita and I talked, I realized that I needed some protein before my walk with Walter.  I made an omelet with green peppers, cheese, and spinach.  When I took the plastic top off the spinach container, I saw a recipe for spinach orzo salad.  Hmmm, that looks good.  I have all the ingredients for this.  I'll cook this tonight for dinner.

I took Walter for a walk.  That counted as my 30 minutes of cardio, and I thought about going to work out, but I figured that I could do the rest of my exercises at home.

It's after 3, and I don't want to drive in traffic when schools are getting out, so I'll get my allergy shot another day.

 Then I looked through the mail and saw a bill, so I decided to take care of that.  I checked e-mail, and then it was time to start cooking dinner.  The spinach and orzo salad was pretty good.

O.K. - then it's time to write - back to work on my novel.  I'm up to 142 pages and 51, 426 words.

It's 10 o'clock.  Finished with tonight's installment of my novel.  Let me write on my blog.  Just wanted to say that retirement is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment